Summertime is a great time for grilling, camp fires and fire pits.
But these activities can also lead to fires and burns. has some reminders for residents.
- A Fire Department permit is required for bonfires larger than three feet by three feet.
- Any cooking or recreational fires (such as camp fires or fire pits) need to be at least 25 feet away from the house, trees or anything else that can catch on fire.
- Only dry, seasoned firewood or charcoal should be used. Do not burn garbage, green wood or paper products.
- Have a fire extinguisher or garden hose handy to put out the fire.
- Any grills -- propane, charcoal or electric -- are only permitted at ground level, not on balconies. They should be at least 15 feet from the house. Even if you don't start a fire, your friends will laugh at you for scorching or melting your siding.
- Keep your grill clean to keep smoke to a minimum. You will be required to put out your grill or fire if there are complaints about smoke.