Would you know what to do if you encountered a coyote in Westlake?
The Westlake Police Department has offered helpful tips for residents if they encounter the wolf-like creatures.
Commonly found in Westlake, they usually roam around at night in packs of four to eight, feeding on small animals, insects and fruit.
They are helpful in controlling the deer population and other animal nuisances.
While they are usually frightened around humans, here are a few ideas of what to do if you come across one (See our PDF section for more information):
- Keep garbage in a tightly sealed container.
- Keep pets fenced in or in covered kennels.
- Scare them away with yard lights and motion detectors.
- Make loud noises and make yourself appear big.
- Throw rocks or other objects.
- Never turn your back or run away.
Have you seen a coyote in the area? Tell us where in the comments section below.