Welcome back, Patch Blogger!
Snowstorm, End of the World Lead Week's News
Here's what had you reading and talking this week
- Westlake, like the rest of America, dealt with the aftermath of the horrific school shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn. Many students and staff wore green and white -- Sandy Hook Elementary's colors -- on Monday to show their support for Newtown. Holly Lane staff grieved for their colleagues in Connecticut, and drew strength from students, parents and each other. Westlake Patch joined Patch sites nationwide by participating in an Web Moment of Silence Friday morning to honor the victims.
- Safety and weapons were popular topics after Sandy Hook. Westlake City Schools leaders talked about school safety and security in the wake of Newtown's tragedy. Business director Dave Kocevar explained security at existing schools, while director of construction projects Dave Puffer told how the new high school and middle school were designed with security in mind. Dick's Sporting Goods pulled semi-automatic rifles from all its stores, including the Crocker Park store.
- The much-ballyhooed End of the World was a hugely popular topic, as experts weighed in on the Mayan Calendar's doomsday prophecy. In case you didn't notice, we're still here. Lamest apocalypse ever.
- A Westlake man was found drunk in a parked car, with a loaded gun next to him, by a Westlake Police officer. Erik Szmania faces several charges.
- The first winter storm of the season hit the area early Friday. Will the snow stick around to give us a White Christmas?
, Mayan Apocalypse
, Mayan Calendar
, Newtown school shootings
, Sandy Hook Elementary School
, School Security
, White Christmas
, and end of the world