• A security officer recognized a known shoplifter inside his Detroit Road store on Aug. 22 at 7:20 p.m. He requested that a police officer be in the area. The 48-year-old Cleveland man exited the store with 2 vacuums (total value $820), then ran when approached by Westlake police and the security officer, police said. He was caught and arrested, charged with petty theft.
• A Westford Circle woman found that $100 cash, a gift card, and a small can of pepper spray were taken from her unlocked 2010 Ford Fusion on the night of Aug. 21. Nearby, a 2008 Nissan Rogue belonging to a Trotters Ridge woman was also entered on that night. About $50 cash, a $40 purse, and a $200 GPS unit were taken. No signs of forced entry in the latter and no suspects in either.
• On Aug. 23, a Wakefield Lane woman reported that two rings were at least $2,200 were taken from her home between July 27 and Aug. 20. She suspects cleaners; the investigation continues.
• Two males stole an 18-pack of beer from a Detroit Road gas station on Aug. 24 at 2:24 a.m. They were stopped at Detroit Road and Fernwood Drive. The driver, A 31-year-old Parma Heights man, was charged with operating a vehicle while intoxicated (.141 percent alcohol breath test), petty theft, and seatbelt required. The passenger, a 32-year-old Rocky River man, was charged with disorderly conduct and petty theft.
Two Westlake men who are in business together reported that unknown person(s) had filed tax returns with the IRS using their Social Security numbers. The problem was detected by their accountant on Aug. 22.
See More on Patch
- Drunk Man Tries to Bail out Woman for Drunk Driving, Promptly Arrested
- 'Borrowed' Bike from Garage Gets Westlake Man a Petty Theft Charge
- Drunk Man ‘Intended to Put Woman in Hospital’: Police Blotters
- Westlake Man Crashes SUV, Hospitalized After Police Chase
- Blame It On The Alcohol -- Several Intoxicated Suspects Arrested Last Week In Westlake