A big Powerball jackpot has meant a boost in business for Sam Patel, new owner of the Convenient Food Mart on Detroit Road.
"Since last week, when (the jackpot) started getting big, we've been seeing more people," Patel said. "It's been steadily growing."
Wednesday night's Powerball drawing is for $550 million.
Patel said most customers are buying multiple tickets, and spending between $6 and $10. The busiest times are lunchtime between 11:45 and 12:45 p.m., and between 4 and 8 p.m.
With more customers coming in for Powerball tickets, Patel is hoping they notice the positive changes inside the store.
He bought Convenient Food Mart in May, running it with wife Parul and brother-in-law Dhruv, and has been making improvements ever since.
Recently, he installed new coolers for beverages along the back wall. He has also expanded the wine and beer selections, which includes Great Lakes Christmas Ale.
Patel added that the takeout menu will be expanding in the coming weeks to include fried chicken, chicken tenders, side dishes such as mashed potatoes and cole slaw, and salads.
See More on Patch
- 2,100 Jobs Cut by American Greetings Since 2012
- A Nurse's Rewards In Working with the Intellectual, Developmentally Disabled
- The Top 10 Westlake Projects in 25 Years: Bob Parry Counts Them Down
- WHS Grad Lands in the 'Shark Tank'; Debuts on ABC Tonight
- Resident's 'Pure Barre' Studio is a Westlake Near Miss, Opens in Avon