Lee Burneson Junior Demons Take Conference Championship
Players have great potential to move on to successful football careers at Westlake High.
Winning isn’t everything, but taking back-to-back championship titles must feel pretty good.
The Lee Burneson eighth grade football team went 6-1 this season, beat their first six opponents by at least two touchdowns and proudly claimed their second Southwest Conference championship title.
Head coach Mike Bee was pleased with their balanced playing style, camaraderie and positive attitude, and he hopes to see them stay in Westlake next year to help bolster the district’s program.
“(The 2011 championship) is a great achievement, and it’s a great start to hopefully bigger and better things at Westlake High,” he said.
Lee Burneson Principal Paul Wilson said the team is a great reflection of how Westlake schools do business.
"They worked hard, stayed dedicated, played as a team and earned that championship," he said. "We couldn’t be more proud of their efforts on the field.”
As the student athletes move on, here are some names to keep an eye out for in the years ahead:
- Andris Balodis – quarterback
- Mike Beaver – offensive tackle and outside linebacker
- Otto Bohan – offensive tackle and linebacker
- Tommy Bowles – center and lineman
- Mike Carbon – running back
- Liam Eichenberg – guard and nose tackle
- Brody Evans – running back, quarterback and safety (led the team in scoring)
- Logan Fisher— full back and linebacker
- Quan Hardy – running back
- Nick Marocz – wide receiver and cornerback
Editor's note: This list was updated at 5:04 p.m.