How Many Drinks Will Get You A DUI? (Chart)
DUI arrests are on the increase in Westlake. If you insist on driving after a few drinks, here's what you should know about how alcohol affects your system and your criminal record.
Do you know how many drinks you can have before you're in danger of getting a drunken driving violation?
Drunk-driving arrests are rising in Westlake. Westlake Police have made 201 DUI arrests through Oct. 31, according for figures released by the department on Tuesday. That's up from 187 in all of 2011, with November and December still to be counted.
Westlake resident Jennifer Kearney was sentenced to three years in prison in November for a 2011 drunk-driving crash where she was driving the wrong way on I-90 in Cleveland and killed motorcyclist Kenneth Stith.
As we head into the holiday season, Patch wants you to know when enough is enough.
When police pull drivers over for suspected drunken driving, officers ask them to perform field sobriety tests and to take a breath test to measure Blood Alcohol Content.
A BAC test measures the percentage of alcohol present in a person's bloodstream. Ohio's legal limit is 0.08.
According to the Virginia Tech Alcohol Abuse Prevention website, every 40 minutes, 0.01 percent of alcohol leaves your system.
People under 21 who are charged with DUI can also be charged with underaged drinking.
Check out the chart in the media portion of this article to see what your limit is.
Westlake DUIs by the Numbers
- The oldest person to receive a DUI in 2012 was 85.
- The youngest person to receive a DUI in 2012 was 18.
- The highest BAC level this year was .371. That's more than six times the legal limit.
- Man gets two DUIs in one night
- Accused drunk driver blames it on GPS
- Mom arrested for DUI with kids in car
- Drunk Avon Lake teen plows through neighborhood
- Man with five DUI convictions arrested on DUI, other charges
- Illegal immigrant charged with DUI after trying to flee cops
- Man arrested for DUI goes on to bite hospital nurse
- Drunk driver plows into parked cars outside Giant Eagle
- Westlake man crashes twice, arrested for DUI
- Woman charged with DUI after flipping car
- Drunk mom hits sons, arrested for DUI after trying to flee
- Drunk driver plows into parked cars, flips own car